26th February is the big day of the big fat Indian wedding. No not mine, my bro's. And its not actually a wedding, because they have already got married officially being registered in the land of Scotland. I dont remember the date , it was sometime in December and none of us attended it. Its sad! But registration is not actually marriage in the Indian sense. The actual marriage will be now, next month and I have extreme but mixed feeling about it. Most of it is excitement.
My sis-in-law is Chinese. Sounds exotic no? Initially we did not approve of her. We thought my bro was too naive, thought this would be a passing fancy but after three years of courtship when bro declared that he wanted to get married, it came as a sudden rude truth we had been trying to avoid. We had met C in London when we had gone there on a short trip and she was staying over for 2 days at bro's place. Bro says there was nothing then. But they looked cute together.
Now it has become a part of my intro. "Oh meet Kalpana. She was in NY for 3 years. Her sis in law is a Chinese... " "woooow!!! " comes the reaction. I have decided to treat my friends with a special chinese dinner to celebrate the occasion. I have chatted with her a few times. I told that I would visit London sometime; she formally says that I am most welcome and that they would love to have me around. Lets hope so. Thier 1BHK apartment near Canary Wharf looks real cool in pics. So do her chinese dishes.
I think I am going to double up as the bride's maid and groom's sis. I need to shop for some real classy dress and accessories and want to look my best. After all I have just one brother and haven't been in touch with my cousins. So its supposed to be the most exciting wedding of my life. I have to give C company, teach her our ways in a way that she is comfortable and happy about it all. I gather from her FB statuses that she too is looking forward to whole event. Her parents would be arriving too and my mom has kept Indian dresses ready for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment